Sunday, March 20, 2011

NYC Library Tour

Hey Frightners!

Finally was able to upload my video of the NYC Library which I did a quick walkthrough of. I have been going there a lot these last two weeks to just do some haunt research and think in quite while I concept the haunt this year. This library is really an amazing place. It's the third largest public library in North America and is one of the largest most significant research library systems in the world. The cornerstone of the library was laid in 1902, but work progressed slowly and eventually costed $9 Million to complete the library. There are 75 miles of shelves and it took over a year to move and install the books. The library itself was opened to the public on May 23, 1911 under a ceremony presided over by President William Howard Taft.

It's not every day that I can take a trip out of the country to see some pretty amazing things but sometimes I forget that I work in one of the most amazing cities in the world which has some pretty amazing sites to see and luckily this one is right up the block from where I work. The romanesque architecture coupled with the amazing statuaries and beautiful wall and celling paintings that are intergrated into the structures are beautiful to look at and from a haunters perspective there is so much great reference that you can put to use into your own haunt. I can imagine in the right lighting with the right soundscape that the library could be a perfect haunt atmosphere!

If you live by or are ever taking a trip to New York I highly suggest adding the NYC Public Library to your list of landmarks to go se while in N.Y. They do offer tour and you can take pictures and video of the majority of the inside however the reading rooms and main halls are off limits to pictures though I was lucky to find a few online to share with you just so you can see the enormity of the entire space which again is quite amazing.

I hope you find some haunt inspiration in this video and these pictures below as I know I did and if your interested in learning the full history of the library check HERE or if you want to learn a little about the part the library took in the making of the original Ghostbusters Movie you can read about that HERE.




2 comments:

FoolishCop said...

I recall having to go there to study when I was attending John Jay and being very intimidated by the place. Getting a book was quite the adventure. I recall turning in a slip of paper to one of the librarians who then descended into the bowels of the building to return with my request. It must have been a reference book I was looking for.

It's been many years since I was there last. Now I might have to go again. Thanks!

Rich

Grimlock Manor said...

No problem Rich! Yeah I am actually pretty intimidated going there myself and like you said, you can't just take a book off the shelf you have to submit your request and they go fetch it for you..weird! The place is huge and I still haven't seen it all yet but I do like going there, it has an interesting history and it's a cool FREE stop while your in NY. Let me know if you ever want to go.

Post a Comment