Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Narrative of Victor Karloch

Hi all!

I have seen this video starting to make its way around the net on various sites and it's starting to get more and more attention and I think for good reason. I did a post awhile back about puppeteering and how I miss seeing TV and even movies using puppets in their films. I don't think its a lost art but with the emergence of CG animation it has just become easier to make an animated character these days for film and TV. I miss the days of watching full length movies like the Dark Crystal, Labyrinth and Neverending Story. I didn't think much of it then but now I appreciate it so much more knowing what went into making those films.

In this short film and live stage performance we see 3 stories about 15 minutes each which are all told using these unique character designed puppets of 30" tall. They are rod puppets used against rear-projected elements and full scale props.

The stories revolve around Victor Karloch who is an alchemist, scholar and ghost hunter. Victor battles the supernatural forces of the unknown throughout the original 15 minute stories. All in all it looks pretty cool and is gaining acclaim by many people in the industry such as Richard Taylor of the Weta Workshop and creator of Hellboy Mike Mignola.

I hope to at some point be able to see this myself but for now please enjoy the trailer and for more information check out the website THE SPIRIT CABINET for more details, production art and information about the creator Kevin Mcurk.


2 comments:

Mr. Macabre said...

Two words...OH WOW! That's amazing, the movements are so fluid and lifelike!
The undersea corpse actually startled me.

Grimlock Manor said...

Yeah I really loved the undersea corpse, great details. I hope to get to see this entire thing eventually. If I hear about any updates I'll be sure to post them.

Post a Comment